Somehow, January has turned into a crazy month for me. All of my commitments slowly started to pile on and I didn’t realize until a few days ago just how much time each was going to take. All of that means that I need some easy, healthy dinners for the coming weeks! I have to think I’m not the only one who has crammed a lot into the month of January, so I wanted to share this super simple, delicious dinner option with all of you.
This recipe probably isn’t new to most of you, but I just discovered it a couple of months ago and it’s been meal changing. I’m talking about slow cooker shredded salsa chicken. I can’t believe it’s taken me years of cooking and living on my own to discover this recipe! You literally pour salsa over chicken breasts in a slow cooker, cook on high for 4 hours, shred the chicken into pieces and, viola, I give you the most delicious, tender shredded chicken. How easy is that?!?
For a quick dinner, we use the chicken as a filling for tacos or taco bowls with all of our favorite toppings (extra guacamole anyone?). I love using it in any recipes that call for shredded chicken, like soups or my chicken chipotle skins, or adding it to wraps or quesadillas for an easy lunch. Another great thing about this recipe is that it freezes well, so you can easily make a big batch and portion it out for quick additions to meals or a weeknight dinner that’s ready to go. You’re going to want to make a big batch too, because I have another phenomenal recipe to share with you next week that uses this chicken as the filling.
Now that we have another delicious, easy and healthy dinner option, maybe January won’t be quite so crazy after all.
Shredded Salsa Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4-5 pieces)
- 2 cups favorite, flavorful salsa
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place chicken breasts in a slow cooker and cover with salsa. Toss until the chicken is covered.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 6-8 hours), until the chicken shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker into large glass dish and allow to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, shred the chicken using two forks. If the chicken seems dry or you like a saucier chicken, add remaining salsa and juices from slow cooker, until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
1. This recipe can easily be halved (as I did in the pictures shown above), doubled, tripled or whatever you need. Just scale up or down accordingly.
Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven
Nutrition Panel: Serving Size: 1/2 cup Calories: 64kcal Carbohydrate: 2g Fat: 2g Protein: 11g